Rally software unites Agile project management with tracking of requirements, tests, and defects so everyone has a real-time picture of your project’s features, qualities, priorities, roadblocks, and risks. It is primarily a cloud-based solution.
JIRA is a tool developed by Atlassian. It is used for bug tracking, issue tracking, and project management. The basic use of this tool is to track issues and bugs related to your software.
Organizational users often need to sync and migrate data from Rally to Jira, as well as maintain the migrated data in both the tools for various business reasons. The sync or migration process, if done manually, may lead to data inconsistency and data loss due to human error. Monitoring sync status, maintaining data history and keeping the individual artifacts in sync in both the tools also pose major challenges. Kovair QuickSync provides users with a point-to-point migration solution for connecting Rally and Jira.
- Easier collaboration – Various life cycle information is no longer scattered across various systems. The project management team, development team, and the testing team all have the same information at the same time at Jira.
- More than 1,000 plug-and-play add-ons from the Atlassian Marketplace cover Jira software to fit any use case or development process.
- Jira Software has advanced search abilities driven by Jira Query Language which provides the teams with detailed views about their work.
- Organizations can take the benefits of Jira which holds the actual agile philosophy by providing an extremely customizable platform so the process can be implemented.
- Full scope migration from Rally projects to Jira projects in days.
- Migration of all Rally artifacts (defect, user story, feature, initiative, and theme) to Jira and their interrelationship links.
Benefits of Using QuickSync
Kovair QuickSync offers cost-effective, easy-to-configure & use, and intuitive platform for mapping tools and migrating/merging/ syncing tool data. Now enjoy less downtime, less adoption time, and bulk data migration facility without errors or loss of any data. The on-screen monitoring of data flow, real-time reporting of metrics, and synchronization history gives you total control on the data migration process and results in 100% migration with zero failure.
- Codeless configuration for mapping the Rally projects, entities and fields to the Jira counterparts.
- Data coverage – Can migrate portfolio items, defects, user stories, and tasks.
- Easy monitoring capabilities having an objective and subjective statistical view of the state of migration with reports and logs.
- No additional platform cost.
- Supports the Retry mechanism for any unsuccessful migration.
- Simple licensing based on the successful transactions across all configurations and all projects by any number of users.
- Support attachment, links, comment and Change History migration.
- Migration of bulk data along with comments.
- Side-by-side comparison of post-migration data.
- Data sanity check option for migrated items.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 runtime
- Minimum screen resolution for QuickSync: 1366 x 768
- Minimum primary memory (RAM): 8 GB
- Tool Installation Space in HDD (Native): 500 MB
- Both Rally and Jira must be accessible from the machine where QuickSync will be installed
- For Jira user must be in developer group as well as in from Project Administrator group
- For Rally the user must be in the workspace admin group
Sync and Migration Support Details
The following are the artifacts and the Associated attributes that are exposed from the Source and Target for rich data migration.
|Tool Name||Artifacts being Synced or Migrated|
|Rally||Defects, User Story, Task and Portfolio Items – Feature, Initiative, and Theme.|
|Jira||Bug, Epic, Story, Task, Sub Task, and Test.|
Kovair’s experience from various migration projects has been stated below:
- Rapid migration of data with maximum data availability to the business and no application downtime.
- No impact to applications on either side.
- Data integrity retained – business-oriented data transformation can be performed at a mouse click.
Following are the high-level phases:
Features of QuickSync
- Migrate requirements, test, test steps, and test run.
- Supports migration of attachment, comments and change history.
- Full Scope migration of data with relationships.
- Supports both custom and system fields for migration.
- Copies data from source to target rather than cut and paste.
It can migrate data from one project to one or many projects as well as many projects to one or many.