Microsoft Team Foundation Server is a Microsoft product that provides ALM work items, requirements management, testing, and release management capabilities.
Micro Focus Application Lifecycle Management is a set of software tools developed and marketed by Micro Focus for application development and testing. It comprises of tools for requirements management, test planning, and functional testing, performance testing, developer management, and defect management.
Organizational users often need to sync and migrate data from Micro Focus ALM to TFS or vice-versa, as well as maintain the migrated data in both the tools for various business reasons. The sync or migration process, if done manually, may lead to data inconsistency and data loss due to human error. Monitoring sync status, maintaining data history and keeping the individual artifacts in sync in both the tools also pose major challenges. Kovair QuickSync provides users with a point-to-point migration solution for connecting Micro Focus ALM and TFS.
Features & Benefits
- Migrate requirements, test, test steps and test run.
- Supports migration of attachment, comments and change history.
- Full scope migration of data with relationships.
- It can migrate data from one project to one or many projects as well as many projects to one or many.
- Supports both custom and system fields for migration.
- Copies data from source to target rather than cut and paste.
- Easier collaboration – Various life cycle information is no longer scattered across various systems. The service desk, development team, and the testing team all have the same information at the same time.
- Better management of quality data – The test cases, defects, requirements, runs, and code uses the same single tool, and everything could be interlinked for better visibility, thus maintaining a central source of application information.
- Full scope migration from Micro Focus Quality Center projects to TFS in days.
- Migration of all Micro Focus Quality Center elements (requirements, bugs, test cases, comments, attachments and links between items) to TFS and their interrelationships links.
Benefits of Using QuickSync
Kovair QuickSync offers cost-effective, easy-to-configure & use, and intuitive platform for mapping tools and migrating/merging/ syncing tool data. Now enjoy less downtime, less adoption time, and bulk data migration facility without errors or loss of any data. The on-screen monitoring of data flow, real-time reporting of metrics, and synchronization history gives you total control on the data migration process and results in 100% migration with zero failure.
- Codeless configuration for mapping the Micro Focus ALM/QC projects, entities and fields to the TFS counterparts.
- Data Coverage – Can migrate requirements, defects, test, steps, run & run steps.
- Easy monitoring capabilities having an objective and subjective statistical view of the state of migration with reports and logs.
- No additional platform cost.
- Supports the retry mechanism for any unsuccessful migration.
- Simple licensing based on the successful transactions across all configurations and all projects by any number of users.
- Support for attachment, links, comment and change History migration.
- Migration of bulk data along with comments.
- Side-by-side comparison of post-migration data.
- Data sanity check option for migrated items.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 runtime
- Minimum screen resolution for QuickSync: 1366 x 768
- Minimum primary memory (RAM): 8 GB
- Tool Installation Space in HDD (Native): 500 MB
- Both Micro Focus ALM/QC and TFS must be accessible from the machine where QuickSync will be installed
- For Micro Focus ALM/QC Client Add-on should be installed with proper required access right
- For TFS; user from Project Administrator group is required from migration
Sync and Migration Support Details
The following are the artifacts and the Associated attributes that are exposed from the Source and Target for rich data migration.
|Tool Name||Artifacts being Synced or Migrated|
|Micro Focus ALM||The Requirement, Test Folder, Test, Defect, Design Step, Run, Call to Test (only migration)|
|TFS||The Requirement, Bug, Test Case, Test Step, Shared Step, Test Plan, and Custom Entities|
Kovair’s experience from various migration projects has been stated below:
- Rapid migration of data with maximum data availability to the business and no application downtime.
- No impact to applications on either side.
- Data integrity retained – business-oriented data transformation can be performed at a mouse click.
Following are the high-level phases: