With too many disparate tools getting used across the globe by different teams for software delivery, the biggest challenge that came in at HSBC, was to bring both the tools and teams together by maintaining the accuracy of the data. The organization was working hard to balance this but the manual process of doing this was consuming more time and generation of reports using all varied data became more challenging. On the other hand, the need for faster time to market with quality also increased. With all these in place, they felt the need for implementing DevOps so that the software delivery could happen faster while making sure that the data shared among all the teams maintained its integrity.
Their Challenge: Bringing Teams, Tools and Process Together for Faster Delivery with Quality and Achieving DevOps
With the vision of achieving DevOps, the need for integrating the tools became imminent in this organization. Having invested substantial amounts of money and with best of the breed tools in place for specific domains, everything seemed right for the organization except for the fact that the tools were in silos. As a result, following were some of the major challenges faced by the organization:
- Being from different vendors, the tools did not communicate with each other.
- It was tedious for the project teams to manually update information and keep the tools in sync.
- There was lack of traceability between objects of different tools from different domain.
With all these challenges, their DevOps journey became extremely tough and they were in need of an integration platform.
The Solution: Kovair Omnibus – A Scalable Integration Platform
The only way to get rid of all the problems stated above was to bring in automation and remove manual hand-offs. The company approached Kovair describing their pain points and their urge to achieve DevOps throughout the organization.
Kovair Omnibus is an SOA architected proprietary Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) platform that can seamlessly connect 110+ commercial tools from different vendors and areas like PPM, ALM, PLM and ITSM was offered as the solution. A few of the benefits of Kovair omnibus over others are:
- Protects Investments: Large companies like HSBC not only use commercial tools but also use a stack of internally developed tools for different purposes. Omnibus has a proven experience of integrating with inhouse tools. This means not only all the tool investments done by an organization are protected but also cost of training users for new tools is reduced.
- Web based configuration: Complete web based configuration without client footprint. Integrations can be configured with simple mouse clicks and zero coding.
- Multi-tool Routing: Kovair Omnibus supports advanced and intelligent routing of information through an easy visual interface. Customers can exactly control the movement of data from one tool to one or more other tools based on conditions, as per specific business requirements.
- Integrity Checking: Kovair Omnibus supports pro-active integrity checking for information synchronized between different tools. This helps to find out any synchronization inconsistencies between tools and then resolve those through re-sync capabilities.
- Cloud Compatibility: Kovair Omnibus can integrate any SaaS or Cloud Application. This can support any Hybrid Cloud environment where Cloud as well as on premise applications/tools need to be integrated. Omnibus is Cloud compatible – Cloud-to-Cloud, Cloud-to-On-premise and On-premise to On-premise.
With all these unique aspects and capability of integrating in-house tools, Kovair Omnibus was selected as the integration hub by HSBC for solving all their integration needs.
Omnibus is Cloud compatible – Cloud-to-Cloud, Cloud-to-On-premise and On-premise to On-premise.
It has been observed that design engineering team and the software engineering teams are completely different and typically located remotely. Moreover, since the tools used for ALM and PLM are different, therefore copying data from one tool to another does not make sense. Moreover, what matters the most is the traceability of the items across tools. OSLC and Omnibus jointly play a very important role for establishing the traceability and the impacts.
Example – if a customer changes the requirement for the music system of the car the change may impact mechanical (the box), the electronics (logic boards) and software (Auto tuning programming). For large organizations it is very important that both teams are in sync and cannot afford to be disconnected for this type of change.
Their Journey So Far
The implementation engagement of Kovair at HSBC started with few tools and projects as shown in the picture below. Kovair passed the acceptance criteria defined by HSBC and successfully demonstrated how Omnibus can connect multiple tools supporting various application lifecycle phases to provide an Integrated Software Development environment.
Within a short time Kovair Omnibus gained the confidence of teams and they have started expressing how Omnibus is positively affecting their work. They started their production implementation in a phase manner and teams are getting onboarded in an incremental manner.
At present, 4 different project teams are using Kovair Omnibus for their integration needs and have successfully implemented their use cases in production with many more to come. Details of couple of such production implementation are given below.
- GSD – for tracking Tickets (Incident/Service Request)
- Jira Service Desk – for tracking Incidents
The operations team in HSBC uses CA GSD for tracking their tickets (Incidents and Service Requests). The Development team uses Jira. All tickets were lodged in GSD for the operations to work upon. The data being recorded in silos, there was no central visibility of the activities and things were very much dependent on manual communication between teams. This not only resulted in delay of delivery but also made the process error prone.
Kovair omnibus was introduced as an enterprise solution to overcome the challenges. With Omnibus in place, both the tools and teams can now talk to each other. Tickets when logged in to GSD automatically get synchronized with Jira based on certain pre-defined criteria. Also, when the tickets are resolved in Jira, the updates get sync back to GSD. All manual efforts have been removed and Dev and Ops now work collaboratively.
- RTC – for tracking Defects
- HP ALM – for tracking Defects
One of the QA teams in HSBC was using HP ALM for managing and tracking defects. These defects used to get exported and imported into RTC for the development team to work upon and provide the fix. Upon fixing the defects, the information was not available to the QA team as both the tools were not in sync. A lot of mail communication and manual updates were involved to pass information between teams and stakeholders.
After setting up the integration using Kovair omnibus, all information gets updated across tools automatically in a real-time manner. Teams now just update the records from their own tool along with suitable comments to the records for members of the other to understand in their own tool.
The Road Ahead
Though HSBC has tasted success and have seen the benefits of an integrated environment, there is still a long way to go. They have laid down a path for 2018 where they will include different teams responsible for Operations, Planning, Code, Code Analysis & Testing pertaining to different phases of application lifecycle. This will establish an end to end integrated environment for HSBC enabling their DevOps endeavor.
Using Kovair Omnibus, HSBC is successfully implementing DevOps. Kovair is not only helping HSBC to integrate more than 110+ tools which they are using today, but is working hand in hand with them to ensure that the implementation is correct and successful. Stakeholders of HSBC have already started recognizing the benefits of having an integrated environment achieved through Kovair Omnibus. Some of these benefits are listed below.
- Smooth collaboration between teams
- Real-time status of all items across different teams
- Single source of information for all teams
- Traceability between artifacts across tools
- Productivity gains through these integrations and automations