IntroductionDifferent phases of software development lifecycle in this organization get managed using a wide variety of tools, such as Microsoft SharePoint for managing Change Requests, Delivery Package, Requirements and Designs; HP Quality Center for managing Test Cases and Issues; MS Build for managing Builds; IBM Rational ClearCase for Version Control of Source Code files and ServiceNow for managing Incidents. Most of these tools being from different vendors are very module specific in nature, and are not integrated with each other. As a result, there is no traceability between the various artifacts; such as Requirements, Delivery Package, Test Cases, Issues, Code Files and Incidents. Software development activities at this company are mainly classified under seven domains: Change, Design, Development, Build, Deploy, Test and Helpdesk. Each of these domains contains several artifacts, such as Change Requests, Delivery Package Issues and Incidents. Kovair ALM Studio Solution was configured to help in managing the software development activities, across all these domains
ChallengesThere were quite a few challenges to tackle and implement Integrated ALM in a large development organization successfully.
- Different tools from multiple vendors were involved
- Interconnectivity was not available, thus resulting in lack of information flow between the tools
- Distributed environment across the globe – US, India, Israel and Russia
- Lack of visibility for cross tools end to end traceability of a Release
- Difficulty in tracking of a Release due to the usage of multiple tools
The Solution by KovairKovair ALM Studio and Kovair Omnibus helped in the implementation of an integrated solution with a global process workflow. The solution integrated each of these tools, and made them communicate with each other to bring across-the-board process control, global transparency and better Project Management along with real time reporting. The diagram below depicts the total story along with the tools involved. A central repository has been implemented where data from all these tools reside as individual records. Kovair established traceability relationships among the imported records and facilitated synchronization between Kovair and the other tools. In addition, Kovair has automated the workflow of each of these artifacts through pre-defined processes and policies. As a result, through Kovair, an orchestration has been achieved between all the geographically distributed tools from different vendors to track and manage all the product development related artifacts/entities throughout their lifecycle.
ConclusionUsing Kovair ALM Studio in conjunction with Omnibus, the integration bus of Kovair, the organization has successfully implemented a fully integrated ALM environment. For the past two years they are using this solution to the satisfaction of all its stakeholders. With this implementation, the organization has seen a substantial growth both in quality and productivity. Stakeholders from different teams have recognized the benefits of Kovair’s ALM implementation. Some of the areas where the organization have seen significant benefits are:
- Automation of standard operating procedures and working process enabling controlled project execution
- Increase in Release count making them more competitive in the market
- Significant reduction in Post Deployment Issues improving product quality
- Better release predictability with the help of real-time reports and dashboards
- Visibility of complete coverage through traceability helping in early detection of gaps & errors