Before we move ahead with what is REST API, we must understand first what is REST itself? Yes, the term REST means Representational State Transfer. It completely depends upon stateless, client-server, communications protocol which is cache abled. Not only this, REST API considers using HTTP protocol in all circumstances. It is a very good performer lightweight approach and low barriers for entry.
REST is considered for designing different types of networked applications for a wide range of purposes. It is a framework which makes the entire network application process easier. You can make calls from one machine to another with ease. It uses HTTP for making the calling process easier instead of considering complicated mechanisms. With the help of HTTP, REST can create, delete, read and even update their different operations.
What Makes You Choose REST?
- The first reason is its scalability. Yes, this attribute makes the protocol stand out when compared to others. The reason behind this is server and client separation. You will have the product scaled without much of the difficulty with the help of professional developers.
- Another reason which makes REST the right choice is because of its portability and flexibility. Yes, with the help of REST one will be able to have indispensable need of data covered in one request. Not only this, but it also makes it easy to perform the transfer of data from one server to another. It also gives you access to make the modifications on the database at any moment. One also hosts back and front end on different servers which is a huge advantage to have.
- It brings in independence which is another reason to go ahead with REST. The separation amidst server and client exclusively makes it easy for the protocol to work on different development projects and that too independently. The best part is that it is also adaptable to different working platforms and syntax. This brings in a lot of opportunities to work on different projects related to development.
Moving Ahead with REST API
When it comes to API, it exclusively stands for Application Programming Interface. This can be the best asset of a company and pave the way for its success. Not only it is very easy to understand but it is also opinionated and documented in the form of IDs and camel case.
So, here in this article, we have understood what is an API and REST separately. Now we will move ahead with what REST API stands for. REST API is a Web services APIs which works according to the architectural system of REST. The REST APIs which are HTTP based falls into this category and is defined with the below-mentioned aspects. Take a look:
- Must have an internet media type,
- Base URI,
- Standard HTTP procedures,
- Hyperlinks to references.
Advantages of REST API
- As stated above it is very easy to learn, and understand. Its simplicity certainly becomes one of its primary advantages.
- With the help of REST API, one also will be able to organize complicated applications into a very easy to use resource.
- Another big advantage which comes in with REST API is the High load can be managed with the help of HTTP proxy server and cache.
- REST API is cleaner and very easy to explore and discover.
- It also makes it very simple for new clients to work upon other’s application whether it has been designed specifically for the respective purpose or not.
- Offers ubiquitous allowance with the use of standard HTTP procedure call-outs to requests and retrieve data.
- As REST API significantly depends upon codes, one can use it to synchronize data with the websites without any kind of complications.
- It also brings in a flexible approach and formats by serializing data in JSON or XML format.
- With the help of this, User can avail access to the same standard objects and data model as compared to SOAP-based Web services.
- It also brings in standards-based protection with the use of OAuth protocol for verifying your REST requests.
So, these are the advantages of REST API which is not only simple to use but also very easy to adapt. With the help of REST API, complications are reduced to zero and things get easier with low resources into context. It can manage resources with ease and that too with few operations. Hopefully, you have understood what REST API is and how it is better than the rest.