The infotainment and entertainment industry has undergone a phenomenal change with online channels and providing features such as movies and other content on demand. Similarly, live streaming on a smart device has also gained popularity. These innovations require seamless experience, and to deliver a seamless experience, software developers and software development companies are pioneering approaches such as Agile, DevOps, and Shift-Right. Moreover, increasing emphasis on continuous testing (CT) and delivery has influenced software developers and software development companies to provide software that meets the needs of end-users.
Continuous testing has emerged as a way for enterprises to offer quality products to customers. CT is undisrupted testing that ensures the quality of the software and is done continuously. It has become an important step to evaluate the quality of the software at every step of the delivery process. Testing early often is the main objective of CT to ensure quality software. Continuous testing uses concepts and methods of agile development to the QA process and testing, resulting in better efficiency.
Some of the fundamental objectives of CT are faster time to market, flawless delivery, holistic view of the application quality, and assured efficiency. Moreover, continuous testing is the process where automation is a key factor. So S, software development companies and developers are focusing on establishing an end-to-end testing solution that integrates with the existing software and supports fast and continuous delivery process.
Why Continuous Testing (CT)?
Unlike test automation, the continuous testing process helps in finding the risk and addresses it and improves the product quality at an early stage. With CT, early software release is possible where the product can be released hourly to weekly basis. Moreover, it focuses on quality and improvement along with the proper feedback.
In today’s software development scenario, continuous testing has become critical as it facilitates quick software release and cut the time to release application and website from several weeks to a few hours.
Key Benefits of Continuous Testing
- Developers can find the issues and fix them, and QA their own code
- Accelerate time-to-market and software delivery
- Improve code quality by testing everything at each stage of development
- Minimum time wasted leading to the fast release cycle
- Mitigating business risk
- Minimizing other risks
Continuous testing is going to become important for software developers and software development company as time goes and with evolving technologies. If we take into account modern applications like wearable and mobile applications they have several frontend and backend. This means that at any point developers should be able to test API, UI, performance, and regression on various devices and operating systems. To successfully and effectively manage it, CT is a must.
Today, with the increasing number of apps and software customers demand seamless user experience. For these apps need better connectivity, process and infrastructure. Testing complex applications sometimes pose a big challenge as testing needs to ensure high-quality app or software at a better speed. Hence, when continuous testing is implemented it allows continuity in the software and app delivery cycle and meets tight deadlines.
There are some steps that a software development company follows to implement CT. Here are some of the steps that can be followed to successfully implement CT.
Steps to Follow to Implement Continuous Testing Successfully
- Specifying test at an early stage
- Testing only what needs to be tested and ensure importing test cases
- Taking a shift-left and shift-right testing approach
- Providing a complete test environment with the ability to deliver a virtualized test environment
- Getting the right test data, test data should be close to what the app will experience during the production
CT is a major step in continuous quality and is an important step for a software development company to achieve better product quality. There are some tools in the market available for CT such as Jenkins, Experitest, Selenium, and Travis. Although there are some benefits of continuous testing, there are some challenges of CT such as…
Challenges of Continuous Testing
- Use of traditional process is limiting shift among developers and quality assurance professionals
- Lack of knowledge and absence of right tools for testing
- Loosely defined test data management and conventional testing process
- Ineffective and insufficient test environments and resources
- The longer code can create integration issues
- Complex business logic and application architecture restricting the adoption of the new testing process.
In the software and mobile app development, CT has emerged as the testing often and early process. It also leads to actionable feedback in every stage of product development. Continuous testing can constantly code scans and load tests to ensure security and enhance performance at every stage of the development. It also ensures that the feature in the software and mobile app performs exactly as designed by developer or software development company.