Today, the mobile development world is highly advanced. Each developer is eyeing the latest advancements so as to stay relevant in the highly competitive world. This is the reason behind the increased number of mobile service providers who have employed the use of mobile DevOps process.
Today, you need to embrace modern technologies, tools and agile software development trends for mobile applications that appeal across different platforms. This piece, therefore, helps you to understand mobile DevOps process.
DevOps is a significant modern software engineering and development process that focuses on enhancing collaboration between mobile developers, project managers and staff. This is carefully done while keeping business objectives in mind. In the past, leading mobile development companies including IOS and Android used native applications to develop hybrid products.
However, as technology advances, there is a need to realize the business goals of a client by levering development processes, the people and the latest technologies. Similarly, the processes used in the past lacked effective and powerful coordination across different software development departments. This meant extra development time, loopholes in client pockets and lack of client satisfaction, hence the need for Mobile DevOps process.
Why adopt mobile DevOps process
- It brings different mobile app development stakeholders on the same page. This includes operations and mobile development team.
- It is easy to distribute responsibilities among your development team.
- It enhances the process of integrating business goals with IT, operations and development experts.
- It enhances mobile app development as well as its delivery.
- Mobile DevOps also helps developers in piecing together all processes for continuous workflow and solving problems. Furthermore, it helps in making crucial decisions that work for the success of mobile development.
For an enterprise, DevOps is important because it enhances:
- Quality software delivery.
- Excellent customer support and experience.
- Higher employee retention and engagement.
- Creates an ideal environment for easy deployments.
- Creates more time for quality innovation, mobile development and increased efficacy.
Mobile DevOps Process – The 6Cs
DevOps involves implementation of 6 basic processes including;
That involves bringing together the operations team, testers, developers and business analysis to one platform. This is tailor-made to ensure a clear release plan is realized.
A process that focuses on employing error-free practices and setting up standards for version control. This is done by addressing the mobile developer’s community.
An integral part of the world of software development. It is specifically designed to ensure the quality of a product delivered to a client is top notch.
A process that ensures the app is functioning as desired. It also ensures the production environment is stable despite any unforeseen challenges that could arise in the process.
A practice that the production environment gets the right code. It delivers the code on time.
Is a process in continuous delivery where every change is automated and tested. Once tested, it is automatically deployed or delivered to the production environment.
Therefore, with these processes, adopting mobile DevOps process is a game changer in the world of mobile development. It ensures smooth operations by allowing all teams to execute assigned tasks within the shortest time possible.
A point to note is that the whole process of DevOps is not always easy. You need to make sound business and technical decisions for successful implementation. By doing so, your company or organization stands a better chance to reap the benefits of DevOps. This includes;
- Increased efficiency in service delivery.
- Client satisfaction.
- Transparency in the production process.
- Reduced cost of an app development.
- Increased return on investment.
Adopting Mobile DevOps process
Adopting mobile DevOps process involves crucial rules in three major steps and you shouldn’t ignore. They include:
Continuous integration and continuous delivery
Within these steps, you need;
- To ensure that all your scripts, documents, codes and text files are traceable. Each code should sync with the other.
- Always maintain a unique build for all your variants based on the platforms you are targeting.
- Manage your scripts by assigning the right versions and ensuring that the builds are reproduced.
Testing and monitoring
- Test your app using the right and effective automated tools.
- Avail your entire ecosystem on your virtual instances. It helps to rapidly test and cut down on the cost of an app development; as well as reduces hardware resources expenses.
- Monitor your app continuously to avoid client dissatisfaction. This can be achieved by incorporating a third-party SDK to your app.
Quality and Delivery
- As a developer, it is imperative that you closely monitor your app ratings and feedback. It helps you to improve your app and boost the chances of its success.
Possible challenges in adopting Mobile DevOps Process
While DevOps comes with amazing benefits, implementing the process can be challenging. Therefore, it is wise that you identify all possible issues and bottlenecks that you are most likely to face. Some of the most common challenges include:
- Multiple target platform including OS versions, multiple devices, and hardware specifications among others.
- Google Play Store for Android and App Store for IOS. Mobile apps cannot be used directly on a mobile device. They have to be submitted and reviewed through App store processes.
- Similarly, the push deployment model poses a challenge because it is up to a user to choose whether or not an app should be updated.
Rigorous testing in mobile app development is similarly a challenge because of client testing. The unsatisfied client will harm your brand on different App Stores. This means that you need to carefully test the usability of an app, its performance and use the right testing techniques.