Business environments are changing all the time and with that, companies are compelled to react quickly to modernize their digital software applications.
That means optimizing processes and systems to stay competitive and bringing services and products to market faster. Bigger companies’ development teams face a series of challenges as the companies grow.
Dividing large-scale applications into small autonomous pieces can help an organization overcome collaborative and operational roadblocks. This article will discuss the latest business software application and development trends to facilitate these processes.
Some popular business software development trends
1. Microservices as a long-term solution – When you start a business, your applications normally begin as monoliths. They do not exert pressure on teams and work well within limited scopes. As the business develops and grows, application architecture must do so as well.
Companies are increasingly turning to such services as systems become large and complex. These involve creating a complex ‘application’ that integrates a series of modular elements or services, each of which encompasses a capability in a specific business context that helps a business attain its targets.
Each element or service exposes a simple API that can be used to communicate with other elements or services and support a clearly defined business goal or task. Thus, scaling and enablement of specific business functions are of paramount importance to the microservices approach.
2. Low code development – Experts often draw parallels between low code development and Lego. Low code development is very helpful as it does away with the need for complex code. It does not require expertise and helps companies understand their software projects with ease. Then, they can customize their software autonomously.
This type of development can be a crucial tool for businesses that plan digital transformations, but they are far from perfect as coding practices. This approach does not work if a company needs a structured and complex solution.
3. Sensors and scanners – Sensors and scanners are vital for custom software development. In general, scanners require user input, while sensors collect data by themselves. User input must be programmed in the sensors automatically when using scanners.
4. Progressive web applications – These applications are located on the continuum between mobile and web applications. They have transformed into a trend as they provide the most up-to-date experience to users across mobile and web-based devices.
These applications are easier to maintain and more developed than standard mobile applications, which is why the trend is not going anywhere anytime soon. They utilize Service Workers, which run in the background in the browser script throughout the PWA. The script is capable of offline functionality to visited sites, enables smart caching and push notifications, and performs background updates as well as a series of other features that help a site load faster even after very few visits.
5. Code quality – Code quality becomes a field of primary focus with the constant evolution of technology. In 2020, we all need to keep a sharp eye on programming and development techniques. Low code development has allowed IT firms to program software conveniently. Decisions on code quality and structure to provide the best possible results will depend on the type of software development task done. Most businesses will need a reliable development strategy to guarantee the best coding.
6. Digital transformation – Every company is a software company to some extent. In today’s day and age, businesses that do not think and work like digital companies will soon have no place in the market. What is more, it is no longer just about deploying and procuring solutions or one single software solution. It is about imagining the future as a digital company. Software is a key source of quality, innovation, capacity, competitiveness, and agility for companies. If your company is a service provider, your software should build loyalty, coordinate workflow, manage treasury, support customer service, and collect indicators for management decisions. If it is an industrial business, the software can manage distribution, sales, acquisition, marketing, production, and stock management. Your company is undeniably a software company if the software can support more than 90% of its operations. One way to achieve this, particularly if you need to process large data sets, is by using real-time analytics databases designed for fast analytics. One such option is Druid Architecture.
Even if the software does not manage your activities, your company can still be a software company. The criterion is that it can or could. Your competitors are taking measures to digitize as many activities as they can, particularly those of them that are most disruptive and innovative. Or your competitors have already digitized them. In every event, ignoring the trend of digital transformation can be costly.
7. Internet of Things – No article on business software development trends can be complete without at least a mention of the Internet of Things. All mobile, web-based, and stationary devices are connected to the cloud, internet servers, and more. This phenomenon denotes the concept of Internet of Things (IoT). As it becomes more popular, software developers are becoming more careful in the process of identifying how to program the devices optimally, so they are easy for users to operate.
The role of digital business software has outlined three major trends in the past 15 years. The first involved a shift from business apps to customer-facing ones, or from “back office” to “front office”. Then, the software’s role changed from being merely supportive of strategic and essential. This meant rationalizing expenses, relating earnings directly to software costs, and no longer perceiving software as an additional expenditure, but rather a potential revenue source. Finally, there was migration from “technology” to “management” with an emphasis on quality, performance, the extension to digital marketing and other management areas, automation, information security, time to market, adoption of better methodologies, and efficiency.
As a result, businesses shifted from a self-focused, closed technological area to the removal of obstacles between IT and all other branches of an organization. The democratization of technology in digital organizations reflects this general social movement. Digital technology has become more easily accessible to everyone. There is no longer any excuse not to utilize the benefits digital business software can bring to your company.