Developers use many tools and techniques to manage an IT project and for its tracking. Among them, Azure DevOps and Jira are the most popular tools in use. Azure DevOps is a set of development tools useful for developers and software teams. Jira on the other hand is also a project management tool useful for software teams to manage different works.
Azure DevOps is a set of cloud-hosted DevOps services offered by Microsoft Inc. It also includes various tools that can work on any coding language and on any platform. It allows you to manage various test plans from the web, code versioning from Git, and deploy the solutions to a wide variety of platform’s CI/CD systems. Moreover, it is a tool that allows you to apply the DevOps lifecycle to a business process.
Jira is developed by Atlassian, a project management tool that helps to track bugs, issues, and other processes of the project. It has different types of services including Jira Software, Jira Core, and Jira Service Desk. All these serve different purposes for different users. Today, it is not just an application but a platform having a suite of products built on its top with customization capacities. Moreover, customers have options to choose from its wide variety of services and products that suits them best.
In this article, we will see the major differences between the two software development and management tools.
Azure DevOps vs Jira Software
Both tools are the most useful development tools for software teams. With Jira’s agile functionality and search features, it is useful beyond software development projects. Similarly. Azure DevOps is also used among different teams involved in the whole lifecycle of the application.
Learn from the Azure DevOps Training to get more insights on this software development tool.
Let us check the key differences between Azure DevOps vs Jira software.
- Azure DevOps is most useful for software development teams whereas Jira is useful for all teams including software development.
- Jira involves in managing team projects with agile modes. But Azure helps to combine people (Dev & Ops team) and track the entire software project from start to end.
- Unlike Jira, it offers a free trial for new users for up to 30 days but Jira offers only 7 days of free usage.
- Jira technically supports the ticket system whereas Azure DevOps offers its support to Twitter along with the ticket system.
- The major use of Azure DevOps is for the end-to-end development of software apps. But Jira is a project management tool that handles the entire project.
- Unlike Jira, Azure offers customization features to its users to customize dashboards. Jira also provides custom dashboards.
- Jira software offers very limited tracking features including built-in roadmaps for its teams. But Azure DevOps provides advanced tracking features to its users.
- The search features are limited in Azure but Jira offers strong search features.
- Azure DevOps offers an integration facility with Git for coding purposes whereas Jira integrates with Bitbucket for this purpose.
- Jira Software supports Scrum and Kanban agile methodologies including allowing software teams to adjust workflow iterations. Azure lacks this facility.
- Unlike Jira, it allows teams to view the entire project workflow along with the links between different work items and states. But Jira doesn’t allow previewing of any looping or tasks to the teams.
Key differences between Azure DevOps and Jira
The followings present the key differences between the Azure DevOps and Jira software.
Azure DevOps offers free usage for up to five users and it offers a ‘Basic’ level to use for any team. But those who involve in managing test plans they must need a Test Manager license which is costlier.
Jira offers free usage for up to ten users and charges around USD 7.50 per user/month for those having teams between 11-100. Thus, the number of users in Jira is a little higher than in the former tool.
Azure DevOps is not much simple as Jira. It doesn’t offer similar customization features as Jira offers. However, the customization here doesn’t need many technical skills to control the DevOps instance in Azure. Hence, this is the benefit here for the user of this amazing tool in software development.
Jira software is the best option for software development teams who like to work with agile methodologies. It includes the Scrum and Kanban agile modes. Moreover, it is an out-of-the-box project management tool that helps to manage project growth through a single tool. Also, Jira provides iteration power to its users to their workflows and allows them to add more features further. However, Azure with DevOps is a tool that allows the implementation of the DevOps lifecycle in a business process. It looks after the entire lifecycle of the project.
Jira offers very limited traceability and it is possible to pull requests and other changes to perform in GitHub while working with Jira. But there is no direct visibility of the work on this platform. But the former allows traceability of work from start to end of the development process.
Jira Software provides its users with advanced search capacities that help to find the problem faster and act quickly. Here, JQL or Jira Query Language is much useful to identify any bugs in a project. But Azure with DevOps doesn’t provide any such capacities to its users.
Hence, you have gone through the various differences between both tools. Azure DevOps is a project control tool that accelerates the development, testing, and deployment of apps by combining teams for faster software delivery. Jira is the best option for software teams with agile processing methods and to track issues including managing projects. Software app-building needs many people and many tools to connect with. If anything lacks here, the project will not prosper further.
Both tools support project management and software development. IT teams can get benefit from their use. But due to some key differences, both have some advantages & drawbacks too. So, you can choose wisely which tool suits best for your business.