Application lifecycle management is associated with software application development. With the expansion of the app market and the demand for apps is rising.
An app developer is required to deliver the flawless app within a time span of 2-3 days or a week. Deadlines tie their hands, and the chances of generating unexpected bottlenecks arise. To improve app quality, developer productivity, and control such unexpected errors, the process of app development requires incorporating ALM.
The software development process right from the planning, development, and testing phase to its deployment remains entirely managed by Application Lifecycle Management. The primary advantages of ALM software incorporate visibility, traceability, information, agility, and quality by supporting the development project at every phase. Apart from quality assurance, ALM benefits to deliver the software in the assigned timeline.
After understanding a bit about ALM and how it influences the development cycle through its methodologies, it’s time to shed some light on the importance it holds in the entire process of software development.
1. Smooth-running App Development Process
Developing an app includes the role of more resources rather than only an app developer, along with standardized processes and documentation. These processes and documentation can easily be implanted in the ALM tool using it as a central hub to store all information related to the app development lifecycle.
So, how does it help?
Implementing processes and resources in ALM provides an overview of the entire process such as execution by developers or testers will be traceable, resulting in high accountability. With all the information in one place, every team member can acquire detailed knowledge on an app, which can be utilized later.
2. Preparing and Organizing the development process
As mentioned before, the ALM tool manages the lifecycle of application development. The moment the client shares the project requirement, the planning phase comes into play for aligning the business needs in the project and choose a solution accordingly.
With ALM tool resource planning becomes efficient, along with specific tools for different requirements, that can support either traditional waterfall projects, or agile development projects, or both.
3. Maintaining project budget and productivity
When a client reaches out for the development of an app, the first phase is discussing the finances with a business or financial analyst.
Sometimes, an app developer opts for sandbox testing, which requires the development of an isolated environment for testing the code by the developer only. In such scenarios, the IT budgets and productivity gets drained.
But integrating software development with ALM eliminates the requirement of different environments for testing. Furthermore, with everything present in one software, the review and management become more efficient. And hence, it saves both expense and productivity.
4. Team management
Many times, different members of the team in a company are positioned at separate locations. But, they need to work in close association with other team members for software development. This closely associated teamwork generates the requirement of an uncomplicated and robust network.
For a company working on ALM software, need not worry about the lack of communication that might arise errors or stoppage in the application development process.
As in ALM, every team member can track real-time strategies, changes requirements, and project status. Thus, remote teams and work management become easygoing.
5. Speed and Quality efficiency
Keeping track of work progress and status of every team member, if not collaborated properly, this raises the chances of loopholes or pushing the deadlines or compromising the product quality.
So, when a project operates on ALM software, the integrated tools successfully deliver user requirements with high-quality software.
An ALM tool assists in project inspection by creating a traceability pattern during the development phase. Hence, the project remains up to date and error-free.
6. Carrying the load
During the software development process from the planning phase to its deployment, there are possibilities that the project gets stuck at some point. And to recapitulate the process some apt choices require to be executed.
ALM comprises resources and processes all in one tool, which benefits in determining solutions at each phase during the software development process. With allotted resources, tools, and methodologies for an appropriate job, aiding business demands becomes effective and swift.
7. Employee satisfaction
Productivity is a reflection of an employee’s interest and dedication. Along with the productivity of an employee, their efforts and methods should be appreciated.
The benefit of ALM in terms of employee satisfaction is that it gives them the freedom to use the tools of their own choice. Hence, it keeps the employees motivated, satisfied, and maximizes their productivity throughout the software development lifecycle.
8. Productivity in the project
The team potential is the utmost requirement for the successful outcome in any project. When we talk about software development, every team member starting from business analyst to tester needs to maintain their work productivity through the process for the best result.
With ALM integrated software development project, distributing and allotting the task is one part but, tracking the work productivity, quality, and progress report is another side that is imperative for the quality outcome.
9. Fixing bugs in the testing phase
The testing of an application or software is to make sure that it’s bug or error-free. An ALM tool provides a platform where development and testing are united, i.e., a strong interaction of both the teams.
The advantage of this communication is reflected by time to time issue detection and fixing the same with a quick solution. Hence, the chances of problems or loopholes from developers end are eliminated in the ALM tool.
10. Customer satisfaction
Every service provider strives to satisfy their customer needs. In software development, it’s easy to achieve the same through ALM software.
As an ALM tool maintains high-visibility and transparency between the client and the service provider.
So, any organization working with the ALM tool can carry out their work presentation in front of their customers anytime and allows them to modify their requirements during the development process.
If you are using the ALM tool, it will satisfy the clients and help you in providing the quality product in the defined timeline.
Though the process of development can be complex with the involvement of clients, scrum masters, architects, developers, and testers, the ALM tool will streamline the whole system making the execution faultless and delivering the best outcome.
There is this big question as to why ALM is important. The following 10 points will make you understand why exactly.
1. Smooth Development Process – Developing an application includes more of a team of developers, standardized processes, and documentation and not just only an awesome application developer. ALM tools can help you easily implant these processes and documentation in themselves by using them as a central hub for storing all the data related to the application development lifecycle. This will enable full traceability and hence, high accountability.
2. Preparing and Organizing the Development Process – ALM tools help manage the application development lifecycle. The planning phase begins as soon as the clients share their project requirements. With the help of ALM tools, you can draw up your plans more efficiently along with tools that fit your specific requirements. They can either support waterfall methodology or agile methodology or both.
3. Maintain Budgets & Productivity – The first step in any planning is to set up a financial budget. Choosing methodologies that can potentially drain budgets and productivity is simply a stupid move. ALM integration eliminates the requirements for varied environments for testing. Also, with all-in-one software, review and management become easier too.
4. Team Management – Communicative and coordinative workspace deeply suits an efficient and smooth software development. ALM can keep all the members on the same page with the real-time strategies, changed requirements, and regular project status. Remote jobs are highly and positively affected by this.
5. Speed + Quality – If the team does not collaborate appropriately, the chances for loopholes, delayed deliveries, and low product quality can increase. When you operate your project on ALM software, the integrated tools deliver the user requirements successfully, that too with high quality.
6. Carrying the Load – There are high possibilities that the project might get stuck at some point. In case of such cases, apt choices and decisions are needed. ALM comprises the resources and processes in one tool which consequently, benefits the determination of solutions at each step.
7. Employee Satisfaction – Employees show their dedication and interest through their productivity levels. Appreciating their efforts and choices is a must. ALM provides the freedom to the employees to use the tools and make their own choices and decisions. This keeps them motivated and satisfied enhancing their productivity.
8. Team Productivity – Team productivity is of the utmost importance for a successful outcome in any project. ALM integrated software helps in distributing and allocating the tasks easily. Also, it helps to track productivity, quality, and progress regularly too.
9. Fixing Bugs – Testing is done to make sure that the application has as lesser bugs as possible. ALM tools provide a platform for uniting the development and testing processes. This helps reduce the chances of loopholes and enhances the quality of the application.
10. Customer Satisfaction – Every service by every organization strives in order to satisfy its customers. ALM tools help maintain high visibility and transparency amongst the service provider and the clients.
In case you wish to acquire more information on ALM, you can visit our Visure website and check out the data we have compiled over there.