We receive high number of inquiries on how to integrate HP Quality Center – HP QC and IBM Rational Team Concert – IBM RTC. So, I decided to write this blog post. Here I will explain why HP QC and IBM RTC integration is essential and how Kovair Omnibus connects both of these great tools.
Undoubtedly, HP QC and IBM RTC are two widely used tools in software industry. HP QC provides a platform for Requirements, Test, and Defect Management in a single repository. It is used by Business Analyst, Developers, and Testers to log Requirements, manage Requirements, log Defects and Test cases and verify them. And IBM RTC can help software development teams to store and organize an enormous amount of information.
ALM requires close collaboration of distributed teams of business analysts, developers, and quality assurance specialists. Hence, teams using HP QC and IBM RTC need to integrate these two tools so that data can flow from one to another and they can work more collaboratively.
Kovair Omnibus platform is very useful when it comes to cross-vendor ALM tool integrations. It provides simple interface to integrate HP QC and IBM RTC so that organizations can achieve end-to-end traceability and can experience the real benefits of ALM.
What you can achieve from HP QC and IBM RTC integration
- Synchronize QC Defects/Requirements to RTC Work Items
- Track work items in RTC through Synchronization and OSLC linking
- Enhance overall team performance by integrating work-items, build and software configuration management
- Get high visibility into project activities and team progress with multilevel dashboards and reporting features
Exclusive features of using Kovair Omnibus for RTC and QC integration
- Synchronize desired individual fields
- Synchronize RTC User Story to QC Test Requirements
- Synchronize QC Defects to RTC Defects
- Update either tool data in your customized workflow
- Execute Automatic Build
- Support RTF Fields, Attachments and Comments.
Working Scenario of IBM RTC and HP QC Integration
Kovair Omnibus integration platform includes IBM RTC Adapter and HP QC Adapter. Together, with the adapters and platform, it allows the user to establish links among resources. Once the tools are connected through Kovair Omnibus, following scenarios are possible:
- Business Analysts can upload Requirement in HP QC which can be migrated to IBM RTC automatically.
- Managers can create Task in RTC for each Requirement.
- Developers can code as per the Task (linked with Requirements) and check-in the code in RTC.
- Check-in can automatically fire a build in any Build System. In parallel, tester can write Test Case against each of the Requirements.
Let’s take a deeper look into the integrated environment
In Quality Center, concepts for planning and execution are defined; the Plan is where one can define Cases with Steps and group them into folders; and the Lab is where we create Sets which link to a number of Cases from the plan area. With this concept one can then link the folders that contain the Sets.
When HP QC and IBM RTC are connected, Defects raised in HP QC after Test Case execution can be migrated to RTC where Developers can fix it and update the status followed by code check-in. This will update the testers who can, in parallel, test each of the Requirements. So once all the Requirements are implemented, tested and passed, delivery process can be started.
HP QC’s effectiveness lies in its ability to store and classify tests and their results. Testers enter Test Cases into Quality Center, together with the expected results. Actual Results are entered when the tests are executed. If Defects are discovered, they are entered into Quality Center and RTC users (developers) can fix them accordingly.
Thus, the value of IBM Rational Team Concert and HP Quality Center can be increased manifold when both the tools work in sync. Kovair Omnibus enables organizations to achieve this by providing a simple bi-directional interface.
Get Started with Kovair Omnibus, mention your requirements